- 1 lg eggplant, peeled and cut in ½ in slices
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lg tomato, finely diced
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp peppper
- Boil eggplant in 2 cups water on med-high heat, stirring ocasionally to make sure all slices cook. When tender, drain and let stand.
- Using a fork or food processor, pulp eggplant to form a creamy paste.
- In a large skillet, brown the onion, garlic, bell pepper, salt, pepper and oregano in the olive oil, mix well. Gradually add the mashed eggplant and tomato, stirring often.
- Cook until the mix is well done. If mix begins to stick, add more oil.
- Serve warm or cold. Makes a great dip or spread on French bread and crackers.