- 1 large eggplant, ends removed and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 - 15 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ½ c. grated Parmesan Regiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped fine)
- Oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Start by placing beaten eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in three separate shallow pans. First dust both sides of the eggplant slices with salt. Then, place the eggplant slices in the flour, and shake off any excess. Second, dip the eggplant slices into beaten eggs, then into breadcrumbs.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a large skillet and sauté both sides of eggplant until gold on both sides. Drain slices on paper towels.
- Combine tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic along with the salt and pepper in a small sauce pot. Simmer for 15 minutes to bring out the flavors. Spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce into the greased baking dish, then place a layer of eggplant directly over sauce. Cover with a layer of mozzarella, and keep repeating these layers in the pan, ending with cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes, until cheese melts and turns golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.