- 2 lbs eggplant, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tbs finely ground clove
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups lemon juice
- 5 cups water
- Combine eggplant with 3 cups of water and 1 cup lemon juice in a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until eggplant is tender, stirirng occasionally. Drain.
- Add remaining 2 cups of water, white and brown sugar, spices and ¼ cup of lemon juice. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for approx. 25-30 minutes as the syrup thickens, mixing frequently.
- Cool and transfer preserves to sterilized jars. Store in refrigerator for up to one week.