Chef Noah’s Eggplant Caponata with Golden Raisins
- 2 pounds eggplant (peeled, stem ends removed)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 each roma tomatoes (small diced)
- 1 celery stick (minced)
- 1 carrot (minced)
- 1 onion (minced)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- A pinch crushed red pepper
Makes 16 ounces
- First, soak the eggplant in salted water for 20 minutes to draw out any bitterness. Next, pad the eggplant dry and dice into ½ inch cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the eggplant and stir occasionally until it loses most of its moisture and starts to caramelize.
- Next add the celery, carrot, onion, and tomatoes. Sauté for two minutes then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates from the pan. Cool and serve.
This recipe was prepared exclusively for Ciruli Brothers, LLC by Chef Noah Aguilar, Executive Chef of Anza Marketplace in historic Tubac, Arizona, and Sol Restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. As a committed promoter of fresh fruits and vegetables, Chef Noah participates in various industry events with the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas. His work has been featured in publications such as Sunset Magazine, The Arizonian, and Tucson Lifestyle Magazine, among others. Chef Noah received his education from the New England Culinary Institute, and continues to enrich his culinary platform with the flavors of many cultures through extensive travel. When not working, Chef Noah enjoys traveling and spending time with close friends and family.