Chef Noah’s Fried Eggplant with Manchego Cheese
Eggplant and breading
- 4 eggplant rounds, cut ½ inch thick
- 4 Manchego Cheese triangles (2 oz each)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1/8 cup chopped carrot
- 1/8 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-8 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- For the sauce, puree all ingredients and simmer on the stove for 10 minutes, then let stand.
- Lightly salt the eggplant and let stand at room temperature for ten minutes to draw out any moisture. Separate the eggs, breadcrumbs, and flour into separate bowls. Pat the eggplant with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Next, pour enough oil into a small sauté pan to cover the eggplant and turn the heat to medium. Roll the eggplant in the flour and then put it in the egg mixture, making sure to cover it completely. Finally, coat it with the breadcrumbs and place it in the oil. Fry the eggplant till golden brown and remove from oil. Drain on a paper towels.
- After all the eggplant is done frying, place them on a small cookie sheet, then place sauce on the center of the eggplant and finally the Manchego cheese. Place the cookie sheet in a 400-degree oven for five minutes or until the cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the oregano and serve.
This recipe was prepared exclusively for Ciruli Brothers, LLC by Chef Noah Aguilar, Executive Chef of Anza Marketplace in historic Tubac, Arizona, and Sol Restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. As a committed promoter of fresh fruits and vegetables, Chef Noah participates in various industry events with the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas. His work has been featured in publications such as Sunset Magazine, The Arizonian, and Tucson Lifestyle Magazine, among others. Chef Noah received his education from the New England Culinary Institute, and continues to enrich his culinary platform with the flavors of many cultures through extensive travel. When not working, Chef Noah enjoys traveling and spending time with close friends and family.