Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
- 2 lg tomatoes, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 Italian baguette loaf, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- 4 oz spreadable goat cheese
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, parsley and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Brush oil mixture on both sides of eggplant and tomato slices. Reserve remaining oil mix.
- Arrange eggplant and tomato slices on grill and cook until tender, brushing with remaining oil mixture and turning occasionally. Note: tomato cooks faster and should be removed once the slices are warmed on both sides. When all are cooked, remove from grill and transfer to a plate.
- Spread goat cheese on cut sides of the baguette.
- Place eggplant slices on bottom half of baguette. Add tomato slices on top of the eggplant slices, then add a slice of lettuce, covering the rest of the sandwich. Finish by topping with other half of baguette.
- Cut sandwich into 2 – 3 sections and serve.
- Optional: Lightly brush cut sides of baguette with butter and toast lightly before making the sandwich. Serves 2 – 3